- Monday | January 24, 2022 to Monday | January 31, 2022
- All Day
Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) is the international day on 27 January to remember the six million Jews murdered during the Holocaust, alongside the millions of other people killed under Nazi persecution of other groups and in genocides that followed in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur.
27 January marks the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi death camp.
The Holocaust threatened the fabric of civilisation, and genocide must still be resisted every day. Our world often feels fragile and vulnerable and we cannot be complacent. Even in the UK, prejudice and the language of hatred must be challenged by us all.
HMD is for everyone. Each year across the UK, thousands of people come together to learn more about the past and take action to create a safer future. We know they learn more, empathise more and do more.
Together we bear witness for those who endured genocide, and honour the survivors and all those whose lives were changed beyond recognition.
Lancaster University Library recognises the importance of Holocaust Memorial Day, a day dedicated to encourage remembrance in a world scarred by genocide.
The content for this guide, display and resource list have been curated by the Lancaster University Jewish Society and members of the Holocaust Educational Trust working in collaboration with the Library.
- Displaying relevant books from our collection on A Floor in the Library
- Creating a resource list of Library materials relevant to the Holocaust
- Curating your suggestions in our Holocaust Memorial Day 2022 – Lancaster University Library playlist of films, documentaries and interviews on Box of Broadcast (BoB)
- Running a HMD2022 Reading Group to discuss Primo Levi’s If this is a man
- Film screenings during week beginning 24th January 2022
- Helping you to locate material in the Library and other sources relating to the Holocaust, Nazi persecution of other groups and subsequent genocides
- Highlighting local events in Lancaster, and national events